1968 Time Line ~ 615th MP Company
720th MP Battalion, 89th MP Group, 18th MP Brigade, Long Binh Post
~ 720th Military Police Battalion Reunion Association ~ Vietnam History Project ~
This Page Last Updated  12 January 2011
18t Bde.
If you recognize or participated in any of the events listed on this page and would like to contribute information, personal stories,official documents, or photographs, please use the Email Link provided above.


Exact date unknown Bien Hoa Patrols responded to "Moon Tahs" south of Bien Hoa City in response to a call of a dead soldier on the highway. When they arrived they discovered it was a local Vietnamese official that had been assassinated by the Viet Cong. They assisted at the scene until National Police arrived and removed the body.

The Communist Tet New Years Offensive
89th Group

31 January The major Viet Cong attack on Long Binh Post came from the northwest, Bien Hoa area. Escorting ammunition and supplies to areas hit by the enemy in III Corps Tactical Zone during the Tet Offensive was one of many missions performed by the 720th MP Battalion.

        The Battalion escorted over a dozen resupply convoys to Saigon during the battle. A Company and the 615th MP Company, brought ammunition and rations to Saigon to the embattled 716th MP Battalion. Other elements of the Battalion remained in Saigon with two V-100 armored commando cars to reinforce the 716th. Fuel, ammunition, mail and VIP’s were safely escorted to Tan Son Nhut Air Base in Saigon by companies A, B and the 615th. The 615th and B Company also escorted ammunition from the 3rd Ordnance Supply Depot at Long Binh Post to the Bien Hoa Air Base which had also been attacked.

Photographs during Tet 1968
        The urgent need of the supplies made it necessary to run the convoys both day and night. During the attack on the City of Bien Hoa, twenty-six MP’s from B Company, who were on patrol in the city began working 24 hour days. They watched for snipers, provided general security and supported elements from the 9th Infantry Division.

        An hour after Long Binh Post went on alert early 31 January, C Company established check points on the surrounding highways, including 1A which links Long Binh Post to Saigon. The saw that only military traffic used the highway.

        During the entire period of the Tet Offensive the 720th kept a reaction force of eighty men, twenty from each company, on alert.

1 February the reaction force was called to assist elements of the 95th MP Battalion who were pinned down by enemy firing at the Cogido barge site west of Long Binh Post. The Battalion escorted reinforcements from the 95th MP Battalion to the site. Upon arrival at the barge site they became the targets of heavy small arms fire and called for armored assistance. An armored personnel carrier arrived from 720th MP Battalion HQ and assisted in the evacuation of one man wounded in the exchange of fire.

Dust In My Mouth  CPT Arnold Daxe, Jr. .(COL Ret.) Commanding Officer, 615th MP Company, 720th MP Battalion, February 1967 to February 1968.
The Mushroom Cloud   SGT James F. Ruffer, 615th MP Company, 720th MP Battalion, November 1967 to August 1968.

10 February The Tan An Detachment was attacked by a Battalion sized force of Viet Cong in the early morning.

The 615th is reassigned from the 720th to the 95th MP Battalion

        The Company duties changed from primarily combat support-service to more traditional military police functions.

        The company was now responsible for discipline, law, and order patrols on Long Binh Post; combined discipline, law, and order patrols with the Vietnamese National Police/Canh Sat, and Military Police/Quan Canh in the city of Bien Hoa; Highway Patrol; and Operation SHOTGUN Escorts.

        With the downtown area of Bien Hoa "off limits" to all American personnel the 64 registered bars and other numerous establishments that catered to the allied soldiers required constant patrolling. The patrols worked together to deter illegal activities in downtown Bien Hoa involving: control of contraband; the black marketing activities; narcotics abuse; pass violations.         The highway patrols enforced many of the same functions in addition to traffic enforcement and check points along Highway 1A from Bien Hoa to Thu Duc, and The Newport (Saigon River) Bridge.

        The heavy volume of civilian and military traffic also resulted in numerous vehicle crashes that needed combined Vietnamese and U.S. Military and civilian investigation.

        They also handled the Operation SHOTGUN Escorts involving security for medical evacuee transports to Bien Hoa and Tan Son Nhut Airbase's, and performed Long Binh Post Reaction Force duty, where they manned designated bunkers and access gates during alerts of enemy activity.

        The exact date has yet to be determined but the new official company mascot Andy The Bloodhound arrived at the Company sometime after February 1968. However, prior to his arrival a local adopted stray named "Rebel" was the men's favorite until his accidential death.

19 February Platoon Leader CPT Maurice T. Fitzgerald was reassigned as the new 720th MP Battalion Intelligence and Security Officer [S-2].

22 March CPT Alfred A. Alexander, Commanding Officer of the 615th MP Company, was reassigned to duties as the new 720th MP Battalion Supply Officer [S-4].

June CPT Frederick W. Honerkamp, III, was assigned as Company Commander.

2 August The 720th MP Battalion and attached 615th MP Company are awarded a Meritorious Unit Commendation for actions during 1 June 1967 through 8 February 1968.

        If you are a Battalion Veteran who served during the period specified in the citation, you are entitled to wear & display the ribbon.

20 September Members of the f Thu Duc Detachment, SGT George H. Ross and PFC Daniel M. Ferrara, were on a combined patrol with their Vietnamese counterparts when they stopped a stolen Vietnamese taxi cab occupied by four armed U.S. soldiers who were wanted for armed robbery and the hijacking of a Vietnamese Cab.

25 November SP/4 Robert Kenneth Houle, age 26, of Providence, Rhode Island, died from injuries received as the result of a non-hostile vehicle crash in Gia Dinh Province. He received a posthumous promotion to the rank of Sergeant. Details of the circumstances surrounding his casualty are pending further research.

WANTED Photograph of and/or information concerning the circumstances of SP/4 Houle's casualty, please contact the History Project Manager via the Email Link above.

Photograph Needed of SSG Houle

December The company mascot Andy The Bloodhound goes missing but is later recovered. The incident results in a controversy.

Exact date unknown Members of the 615th MP Company receive decorations for actions related to the Thu Duc Detachment sometime in 1968.

Return To Top Of Page